Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Death By Popcorn

The deaths linked to the use of diacetyl in microwave popcorn were originally all linked to factory workers. 'Popcorn lung' is what they called the deadly disorder acquired by the factory workers. All that seems to have changed today, as doctors diagnose a patient who was exposed to microwave popcorn fumes several times a day with the affliction.
Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading lung research hospital.

A pulmonary specialist at Denver's National Jewish Medical and Research Center has written to federal agencies to say doctors there believe they have the first case of a consumer who developed lung disease from the fumes of microwaving popcorn several times a day for years.

"We cannot be sure that this patient's exposure to butter flavored microwave popcorn from daily heavy preparation has caused his lung disease," cautioned Dr. Cecile Rose. "However, we have no other plausible explanation."

...the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association issued a statement Tuesday recommending that its members reduce "to the extent possible" the amount of diacetyl in butter flavorings they make.
How about NO diacetyl flavor industry?

The full article over at Yahoo Health

No comments: